Saturday, August 28, 2010

Monster Mags Theater "Castle Films"

Other than the Don Post masks, the 8mm digests (from Castle Films and others) is what I wanted most from the Captain Co. Unlike the masks, I was able to afford one of these, once in a while, though only the silent prints, as I didn't have a sound projector. The Castle editors (especially) did a great job of cutting 90% of the feature and still having it work as a story.






















Even in these days of DVDs, it's fun to look back at this primitive form of home video and if you no longer have any, or a projector to watch them on, YouTube will provide. Check this link for more Castle Films.

5 comments:

  1. When I was 17 I started working for Kmart. Back then they had a huge display of these films! Oh to have a time machine!! I would get these from the library since my Dad bought a super 8mm projector and screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did they have one of those wire racks, similar to the comic book racks? Get me one of them time machines, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've always wanted to get mine transfered, i have almost every japanese sci-fi film ever put out domestically on 8mm! got 'em from FM, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a clawfull of these stashed somewhere in the sanctum. I remember I spliced some of them onto 400 foot reels to give 'em longer running times. My Super 8mm Eumig projector is around somewhere, too, collecting the dust of a bygone, pre-video age of home movie wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When home video came out, I sold all my 8mms at a garage sale. I've only rebought a few (for the box art), since.

    ReplyDelete